• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Level Up! The Evolution of Video Game Consoles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hey there, gamers! In today’s world, video games are everywhere! Popular culture nowadays is dominated by games like Fortnite and Call of Duty, but around 30 years ago, people didn’t even know that video games existed.  Many had never heard of the word “Nintendo” as it came along later during “The Golden Age of Video Games.” The very first video games that came out were around the size of your bedroom, and the cheapest ones still costed around $146,000.  At the end of the 1960s, the games Pong and Spacewar! appeared. Pong is a two-player game that focuses on keeping a small ball bouncing back and forth across a net by moving white walls up and down while in Spacewar!, you travel through space as a triangle and fight off enemy ships. These games were pretty simple, but just a decade later, “The Golden Age of Video Games” came around, bringing with it classic games recognized by every game geek.

The famous video games that sprung up in this time included Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Tetris, Mario Bros., and The Legend of Zelda. Unfortunately, many people couldn’t afford the consoles necessary to play these games. They could go to their local arcade place which held a bunch of fan-favorite games, but the playing fees still added up. Throughout the late 80s, consoles continued to come out, but prices still warded away many families from purchasing them. 

In the 90s, the most famous gaming console ever, the Playstation, came out. Its design and efficiency stuck out against other games where starting the console up took forever and controllers looked like flat bricks. The Playstation made gaming easier. All it required to game your day away was a single disk. Nintendo also started to make beautiful consoles such as the Nintendo 64 with a weird 3-handle controller for multiplayer games instead of the traditional 2. 

When the Playstation 2 was released, Microsoft became interested in the gaming industry, so they invented the Xbox. This console was beefier and the controller looked a little weird, but you could still play cool games like GTA San Andreas and Metal Slug. This time around, the graphics were 4 dimensional and held in a first person perspective, but the graphics were still far from the realistic ones we see now. When the PS3 came out, the Xbox 360 was a hit as well, but most people will say that kids preferred the Xbox 360. As the years passed, people were able to save up and obtain both consoles until the conflict erupted once again when the Xbox 1 and PS4 were released at similar times.

This time, both teams were up for a real battle, but other companies were also picking up the pace. Nintendo started to go all out after their first console, the Nintendo Entertainment System, came out and continued to develop more consoles. The WII appeared during the time of the Xbox 360 and PS3 and also used video game discs. When the Xbox 1 and the PS4 eventually became available, there were other models like them that were a little bit better. In 2016, the Xbox 1s was released and flaunted a convienient, compact design. The next year, the PS4 Pro came out, making it the most powerful console in the world, even today. In 2017, the Xbox 1x made an entrance making it another very powerful addition to the gaming industry.

Today, many kids play on consoles such as the PS4, Xbox 1, and the Nintendo Switch. Many of these consoles are expensive. Financially, the gaming life may seem too troublesome, but my fellow gamers know that every cent it worth it in the end. Video games bring people together and push for advances in graphic design and technology. Virtual reality and engaging gameplay has every consumer screaming for the next level up.

Sergio, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Sergio and this is my first year in Journalism. I like to do stories for video games and movies but also I’m a xbox gamer who loves game...