• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

New York’s Missing Pet

Back to Article
Back to Article

New York’s Missing Pet

Imagine you minding your own business on a pond in New York’s Central Park. Then, with the snap of a few viral pictures, you become famous.  Well, that’s exactly what happened to a Mandarin duck when it was first spotted near the Pond in Central Park on October 10th. The Mandarin is a rare, colorful creature with its ruffled, reddish-brown sideburns, purple breast, and shining crown.  This duck is native to East Asia and mysteriously appeared on the water last month. Hundreds of people flocked to the park with cameras around their necks to catch a glimpse of it. Since it was first spotted near the pond in Central Park on October 10th, the Mandarin duck has been seen at different bodies of water around the city.  One instance had him in the Hudson River near a Manhattan boat basin on October 25th. A few days later, he returned to his usual spot in the Pond.

The curious onlookers kept coming for days, until Monday, November 5th, and then suddenly, nobody could find him.  David Barrett is the creator and manager of the Twitter account Manhattan Bird Alert. He reported early on Wednesday that “our MANDARIN DUCK” had gone missing, and people went wild.  It was like New Yorkers had lost a pet that they all had shared. People feared that the duck has been stolen, eaten or kidnapped. New Yorkers demanded justice for the Mandarin duck but Barrett said there is a very reasonable explanation for the duck’s disappearance.  Barrett stated, “They like to move around to find an environment they like better, to find some food it prefers. And we don’t think someone would have taken it because it can be very hard to do that. They’re not easy to catch.” The New York City Parks Department agreed with Barrett and they added, “While we’re happy to have had him visit our parks, it’s important to remember that at some point he may leave New York for warmer temperatures.”

So where is the New York´s Mandarin Duck? As of today, no one knows.