• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Filed under Animal News, Opinion

Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Back to Article
Back to Article

Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

If you are considering getting a new furry addition to your family, make sure to keep hamsters in mind. There are 5 types of hamsters that are further categorized into 3 different maintenance levels. The first and easiest type of hamster to manage is the Syrian hamster. Syrian hamsters are big in size and low level when it comes to maintenance. There are two types of Syrian hamsters, long-haired and short-haired. They are very much alike but differ in hair growth. The second type of hamster is my personal favorite, the winter white, short for djungarian hamster. These lovelies are dwarf type hamsters. They are tinier in size, but similarly to the Syrian hamster, are also low in maintenance. Winter whites are just a little harder to find if you lose them around your house, because they are very tiny and blend in with your carpet or floor, or at least they do in my experience. The third type of hamster is the Chinese dwarf hamster. These hamsters are much faster than the dwarf or Syrian hamster. Their maintenance level is intermediate, because they need a much bigger cage. One hamster rule is that the smaller the hamster, the bigger the cage should be. The last and hardest hamster to care for is the roborovski hamster. They may be the cutest and smallest, but don’t be deceived by their looks. They are the hardest to tame, bite harder, and run faster than the others. Roborovskis are hard to catch if they run off due to their speed and the possibility of getting bit.

Based on my experience being a hamster momma, it is pretty hard at the beginning, but if you remain persistent and care for your hamham properly, they will love you back and be there for you when you need them. Lady, my hamster, was so mean to me at first. She bit me a few times, but she became nicer to me once I spoiled her with her favorite hamster treat, meal worms. After that, she became my best friend, and I cooked eggs, pancakes, cakes, and even a hamster cucumber smoothie for her. Don’t worry, all the foods I cooked for her have no salt, sugar, or any other seasonings that could harm a hamster in any way. Some people think that hamsters are too tiny and high maintenance, but the truth is that they are actually not. They are actually the perfect size for a busy person. They don’t need your attention 24/7 like a dog. They are more “low-key,” because they are nocturnal and they are there for you. In my opinion, if you’re a soon-to-be pet owner, throw out thoughts about the traditional cat or dog and try a hamster instead. 

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur”

1. Nancy Lupian on February 16th, 2019 9:17 pm

Good job Anne!!I really like how you talked about the types of hamsters there are because I only believed that there were 2 types of hamsters and on your story , I learned about the other three I didn’t know about. Keep up the good work. Kate A.

2. Nancy Lupian on February 16th, 2019 10:41 pm

Great job Kate!!! I really liked how you talked about the many types of hamsters there are because many people might not know that there are 5 types of hamsters. Keep up the good work !!

*

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Battlefield 5

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Food

Very ¨Berry¨ Hard to Define

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Animal News

The Prank Calling Gecko

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Aurora Borealis, a Sight of Wonders

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Joyeux Noël – Christmas in France

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Go Go, My Eggo!

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Fresh Face on Campus – AP Cervantes

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

A&E

The Fun Will Never End

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

I´ll Be There For You…¨

• Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur

Perfect Pet fur a Hamateur