• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Fresh Face on Campus – AP Cervantes

Ms. Cervantes is new to our campus this year and I was lucky enough to get to sit down with her and find out more about her.  If she weren’t working on a school campus, she says she would have been a probation officer. She is inspired by the work of probation officers. Earlier in her career she offered the opportunity to become a student aide for Ventura County Probation; however, she felt like she wasn’t making the impact she wanted to.  Many of the juveniles were coming in and out, violating their probation, so she decided to reach out to a friend who worked in education, and she became interested in school counseling. While she was a counselor, the principal recognized leadership ability in her and asked her to assume the responsibility for school events. She began to see herself in a more administrative role and the rest was history.

Ms. Cervantes went to Cal State Northridge and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in sociology and a master’s degree in school counseling. She also went to Cal Lutheran University for educational leadership for her second master’s degree.

Working with students, teachers, and administrators is the primary reason that Ms. Cervantes chose education as her career. That was one of the biggest reasons why she wanted to become an assistant principal. Her mentor exposed her to different kinds of administrative roles and she thought that she would be a fabulous assistant principal.

Our new AP’s five favorite hobbies are hanging out with her family, thrifting, kickboxing, volleyball, and traveling. Her favorite food is sandwiches – that’s right, sandwiches. When Ms. Cervantes was younger, she considered medicine for her career and she toyed with the idea of becoming a doctor.

A few of Ms. Cervantes’s central goals are that she wants the students to feel connected to the school, for everyone to get along, and to make sure that students have all they need to be successful. She is determined to make sure that the students know that they can have any future they wish for, as long as they are willing to work, and she will to make sure that administrators and students have positive relationships with each other.

As many of you know, Mrs. Cervantes is the 6th grade assistant principal. At first, when she found out that she was going to become a 6th grade assistant principal she was nervous because most of her previous experience was with 9-12th graders, so she knew it would be quite a transition. She also said that she was excited because both she and the 6th graders were new to Blackstock, so she considers them ¨twins.¨

Ms. Cervantes is so excited to work at Blackstock for the upcoming years. She’s a wonderful person inside and out, and we must all feel very fortunate to have such an amazing assistant principal.

Kelis, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Kelis and this is my 1st year in journalism. I like to interview interesting people, write about upcoming events, and entertainment. I love...