• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

First Dance Towards Saving the Earth

Back to Article
Back to Article

First Dance Towards Saving the Earth

Dancing is a way of style, a way to show the world your sense of style, your own way.  A style that probably isn’t seen as dancing in Antarctica. As we all know, it’s May; the month for flowers and sunshine and happiness. However, it isn’t all happiness. Mainly because on Earth Day a video was released to the public. It’s title, Antarctica: The First Dance. Some have heard of it, others have not. The video featured a female ballerina dancing in the freezing cold; Antarctica. The reason being is that she is trying to raise awareness of climate change and global warming. She can be seen twisting, turning, and jumping around as the snow gently flies around her. The video itself is quite beautiful, the director himself said it took about 12 days to film it all, but took 2 years in editing, along with the actual creation of the idea. New Zealand ballerina, Madeleine Graham is set sliding down the glaciers and is seen performing many classic moves as a gentle but fierce ballad is playing in the background. The film’s director ( Corey Baker)  spent time on each shot of the video to make sure it came out perfect- perfect enough for the real message behind it. While the video was breathtakingly, dazzling it isn’t just meant to capture the beauty of Antarctica. As I’ve previously explained, Madeleine thought hard about the videos purpose, which is the fact that she loves the world but we’re not doing such a great job taking care of it.

Climate change; the fact that we are slowly killing our planet. It’s real people and we, as individuals, have to talk about how we’re going to change that! Climate change is often caused by all of the carbon dioxide in the air, which is also caused by all of the fossil fuels down here. Any sort of human activity can often cause and produce a lot of carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is extremely bad since it’s known as a greenhouse gas that harms our planet. All of the greenhouse gases go up to the air. Thus being the root to our problems because those gases make the air get warmer. The warmer the air, the more hot it gets, the more Antarctica begins to melt. At the end of Madeleine’s and Corey’s film they mention that in the five minutes it took watching that video, about 860,000 tons of ice and glaciers in Antarctica have melted. It sends a very powerful message telling you that this. This is sadly the truth. We’re in 2018 and nothing has changed. Nothing that is going to positively help the Earth. We need to protect this planet because this is the only one we’re going to get. Although, these may just be words I’m speaking so how can we actually help? For starters, we can start by buying organic foods. Food that especially doesn’t contain meat or dairy, since they’re known to being big greenhouse gases producers. The reason being is that they require pesticides and fertilizers. Turn off electronics if you’re not using them! Switch to more renewable power, also remember to get involved! Let’s save Earth like the ballerinas and directors who are already doing that!