• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Filed under News

The Breeze of Hope Foundation

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Breeze of Hope Foundation

Bolivia. An unknown country to many, for others it’s a familiar country known for one thing: holds the record for highest rate of sexual violence towards women of South America. That’s unfortunately true; however, women all over Bolivia are taking action by doing something about it such as Brisa De Angulo. Brisa is a 30 year old woman who  once faced sexual abuse at the age of 15. She has shared her story with many famous news outlets, such as CNN News; she told them that a male family member was sexually abusing her since a small age. She tried to tell about it but he told her if she revealed this he would hurt her other family members. Years passed and she was finally able to tell her story. Once she did, many faulted her. Others tried to silence this story by setting her house on fire – twice and attempted to run her over multiple times. Yet, Brisa didn’t let that scare her off. It was her mission to tell the world about her tragedy so she can take action, and change it. she needed to tell the world about what happened so she can change it. After that, she realized that many other girls have faced the sort of abuse she’s been through. “There was a lot of pressure for me to stay silent. I found out that I wasn’t alone, that there were tons of girls that were also being sexually abused, and I had to do something”, were her exact words and she did do something. She created the Breeze of Hope Foundation.

Bolivia is known as a center that offers free psychological, legal, medical, and even social services for any victims and survivors of sexual abuse. It was first established in 2014 after De Angulo faced her attacker. She explained that that day was the hardest day of her life, but she still managed to tell her story. August 5th was known as that day; now in Bolivia it’s known as National Day Against Sexual Violence. Speaking of her success, Brisa and her group are currently focused on working hard for changing the rights for sexual abuse victims. Mainly because everywhere and anywhere you see that these very victims are often blamed for the abuse; saying such things like “they were asking for it” or they blame their attitude and even their clothes. Once they do speak up, they are faced with threats to drop the “accusation” completely. Accusation is in quotes because as blame, many would like to say that the survivor is lying about the abuse. One fun fact that they don’t know is that 2 out of 100 rape accusations in women are fake. Meaning that women and even men who inform the police of their abusive environment are told to stop lying.  All of this is another reason as to why Brisa’s foundation is helping the unfair “justice” of sexual abuse victims. Brisa is known as a hero in Bolivia and hopefully everywhere soon. As Brisa says, “I had to use the rest of my life to prevent other girls from going through what I went through.”