• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Filed under News, Now You Know, Opinion

Farewell Stephen Hawking

On March 14, 2018, the father of physics died on the same day as Pi day and Albert Einstein’s birthday. Stephen Hawking was a theoretical physicist and cosmologist, who was known for his work on black holes, the Big Bang Theory (NOT the show), and quantum gravity.  What made Professor Hawking so unique was that he struggled with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and that had him paralyzed and mute for half of his life. However, he still went through the worst and became one of the most respected scientist of all time.

Professor Hawking was born in Oxford, England on January 8th, 1942. He was originally going to be raised in London, but due to the Second World War, his father decided to move them to Oxford. Hawking’s father wanted his son to earn a degree in medicine to acquire a job, however Stephen wanted Mathematics as his career instead. At Cambridge University, Stephen took Physics as his major and was then awarded a first class honours degree, in natural science. In 1962, Stephen enrolled at Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP) at Cambridge University to study cosmology, alongside Dennis Sciama. Sadly, in 1963, Stephen was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), after his 21st birthday.

Even though he had to sit in a wheelchair and  communicate via a computer, Hawking still excelled in his classes and received his PhD. Professor Hawking’s work involved the basic laws that govern the universe and black holes. His work has innovated Albert Einstein’s E=MC2 and theory of relativity. Stephen Hawking has since then became a pop culture icon by appearing in various TV shows and most recently, The Theory of Everything. He also appeared in America’s favorite TV show The Simpsons and Star Trek. The death of this smart, respected man left the science community in shock, since he was considered the smartest man in the world. I myself am shocked to hear this news since I admired his work on black holes and The Big Bang Theory. He basically inspired me to pursue a career in astrophysics and his work has given us a step to the cosmos and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEa7CfPaCRw  – See Stephen Hawking play cards against Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH8s4N15zdg  – See Stephen Hawking in the Simpsons

Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny.

-Stephen Hawking

1942-2018