• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our Fall 2017 Edition! Thank you for reading - please comment at will.

No More Using FedEx or UPS

Amazon: The vastest rainforest on Earth. Filled with hundreds of species, this magnificent rainforest has much to offer. Whether you are visiting or exploring, there is alway something to- Oh wait…, I’m sorry. I’m writing about the company Amazon, the online market that sells and ships- Wait?! They don’t ship themselves? Then what do they use? Oh okay,  they use UPS and FedEx. Hold on,  you’re telling me they aren’t going to? Wait a second… this is the perfect story idea!

Amazon, as well as its third party sellers, currently ships their products using FedEx or UPS.  That is expected, since they are two of the most used shipping/mailing companies out there. They didn’t bring any problems for those of us who use Amazon on a weekly/monthly basis. However, this did affect those customers that buy things on a daily basis and expect lightning fast shipping to their homes, as Amazon doesn’t really have any authority over the two companies, if they ship late. It also meant less money for Amazon themselves, since they had to pay to get FedEx and UPS to ship for them. Now, they have begun to roll out their own shipping service, which they call: Fulfillment by Amazon.

Fulfillment by Amazon has three main goals: if Amazon handles shipping themselves, they can bring faster, more reliable shipping to the table and get more and more Amazon Prime accounts sold – their premium account option that offers free 2 day shipping and discounts. Since they have to pay others to ship for them, Amazon spent $20 billion dollars in 2017 just to get products shipped. If they ship their own products, Amazon can get back a slice of that money, paid to ship. The end goal for all of this is to eventually make Amazon an independent company so they won’t have to  rely on anyone, other than their sellers, to thrive. It works perfectly. Amazon can grow and flourish further, and in a future where going out of the house becomes uncommon, WE will become the ones dependent on Amazon.