• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our Fall 2017 Edition! Thank you for reading - please comment at will.

Filed under News, spoilers

Death Without A Killer

1980: Ah the 80’s, the time for the electropop and bright colors being incorporated in all sorts of different styles. The easier and much more fun the year, it was where stars were barely starting out fresh and new. Yet some of those stars are still on our screens for shows about the 80s.  It was the time for stars to spread out their wings and shine, including the older and dead ones. Sorry for that, but it’s an introduction and preparation to this very dark story. Tighten the scrunchie in your hair or grab your neon yellow windbreaker because this is a cold one.

Many stars have been coming out of the shadows and emerging on our screens during the 80s but the 80s was the year of the end for some. Natalie Wood realized that. Natalie Wood was and still is a huge star, she is seen to be shown on many movies and shows such as West Side Story, Rebel without a cause, Miracle on 34th street, etc. Many of you have seen and/or heard her on screen or you might’ve heard about her on the news, when she was pronounced dead. Natalie died on the weekend of Thanksgiving in the year 1981 from an “accidental” drowning. The world accidental is in quotation marks because that’s what everyone says, yet we don’t know the actual story about her death, do we? Let’s get into it, Natalie Wood, a rising actress fell in love with actor, Robert Wagner. Who she later married…twice. They first wed in 1957, had a divorce and in that time, married others. Though in the year 1972, they finally tied the knot for the last time. She died on a friendship getaway weekend, Natalie and her husband invited fellow actor, Christopher Walken. They were on a yacht cruising off of California’s Catalina Island and obviously had a blast all day, well until nightfall came. During the night, Robert and Natalie could be heard arguing with one and another yet the reason for it is unknown. The captain even went down to the cabin in fear that an assault was taking place. After the quarrel once Robert went to bed, he noticed that Natalie was gone. He was heard uttering the words “Natalie’s gone.”

Natalie was found the next day; wearing a plaid nightgown, socks, and a red jacket…she was found faced down in the water..dead. Natalie’s autopsy showed that she died from drowning and having the weight of her jacket plunge her back down to the water. Well that’s what the officials said but what else do we know? We know that from her autopsy she had fresh bruises covering both her arms and legs. In addition to this, Natalie had foam coming of her mouth. Though this knowledge doesn’t add up or make a difference in her case, many have said that she most likely got those bruises from trying to board the dinghy, but failing and falling into the shallow water. If people are saying that it was  an accident because of failing to board the small boat, why is this death often questioned? Since this is the answer to the question, they are only saying that really happened yet they have no real evidence. The real evidence is that Natalie’s sister has told many reporters that “her sister was not a swimmer and she didn’t know how to swim.” Another question others may ask might be if she did it on purpose. Her husband has heard about these rumors but he has told many reporters that his wife was most definitely not suicidal. So while some have come to the conclusion that it was an accident, others are wondering why she tried to board it if she never knew how to swim. Was it a really an accident? Or was it murder?

Instead of jumping to conclusions however, lets actually go through what we know that makes it a murder: Natalie was scared to death about shallow water, she was once even told by a physic that she was going die from drowning. That makes it a dark irony that she died exactly from that. Though it might have just been an accident that she slipped as some would say. Also, adding to that accident hunch she and her entire party were drinking a lot, even the staff at the restaurant told the harbormaster to “keep an eye on them.¨ It has been said that in Natalie’s autopsy she had drunk about seven to eight glasses of wine, which would make her alcohol level inside of her when she died 0.7% alcohol intoxication. So alcohol plus getting on a small boat might equal slipping and dying, however that’s a long stretch and us jumping to conclusion. The dinghy is an answer to the ‘is it a homicide question’ all together. Those small boats usually make a lot of noise because of the motor when powered on. Yet, no one heard the dinghy turn on or even off so why would a woman who doesn’t know how to swim, is deathly afraid of water, and not turn on the dinghy when going out, is still found dead because of it? Notice that the dinghy was seen nowhere near the site of Natalie’s body. Once the body was discovered and the entire case was out, many people have thought that Robert Wagner, her own husband, had murdered her. Or at least he was just questioned by authorities. When being asked, he has denied that has been involved with his wife’s death yet he has spoken a bit on it. Talking about how they first met on a…boat. Hmm, she met him on a boat yet died on a boat with him although it obviously wasn’t Wagner who killed her or else he wouldn’t have given that information up to the media. Though as these rumors fly away, real theories have gone unnoticed. To this day, the case still remains with no charges against anyone have been assigned since no eligible proof has been heard of. To this day, Natalie’s death remains a mystery.