• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our Fall 2017 Edition! Thank you for reading - please comment at will.

Filed under News

Look Up There, in the Sky

As the time passes, the nights grow darker and darker. Slowly darkness creeps in, the sky is pitch black dark as if someone dropped a splatter of black ink all over the place. The stars can soon be seen as they’re lined up over the place. Their brightness gives a warmth to the darkness; you grab your telescope to see further beyond what the normal eye can see. Suddenly you see it; Tabby’s star. What is Tabby’s star? Tabby’s star is an F star that is a white to yellow star in the sky, its temperature is typically around 6,000-7,000 degrees. The star is obviously known as Tabby’s star because of the founder, Tabetha S. Boyajian who is an astronomer and astrophysicist. She was the woman who discovered the star at the Louisiana State University. Way to go Tabetha! Not many well known females in science out there. Anyways, you may be wondering what the big deal about the star is. This star isn’t just any other star KIC 8462852 or aka Tabby’s star, is about 50% bigger than the sun and 1,000 degrees hotter ! Luckily, it’s not a danger to us, due to the fact that the star is about 1,280 light years away from Earth. That said, we’d be long gone before it came as a threat. The news of this star quickly spread, more than 1,700 people have signed a petition to get more time to be able to research this star and all the information about it. The reason being is because they were captivated by its “mysterious” ways. Although, what makes this star so “mysterious” anyways? Unlike being bigger and hotter than the sun, Tabby’s star has been dimming and also brightening in strange ways that no one can yet explain. That’s how it got its nickname “the mysterious star.” Some scientists can’t figure out how that happens so they’re claiming that aliens have something to do with it!

Hold up, aliens?! I got you! I’m just joking, although there are some people who might say that is the reason as to why the star can mysteriously  brighten whenever it chooses to do so. The more reliable facts are that dust is the main cause since different colors of light are blocked at different exposures to dust.  It is claimed to have say on all of the alien chatter going on with her star. With even more reliable and probable facts researchers and scientists have been studying thestar ever since its first appearance and do agree with dust being the cause of it all. Of the mystery behind the star. The star is sometimes seen with light at different observatories that handle which ever light it’s exposed to. While many others still have different opinions as to why this star dims and brightens, the mystery might just be dust. Or aliens…who knows? Until then, this mysterious star case is unsolved!