• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Filed under News, Now You Know

America and France, We Have a Problem

Whoever out there is a chocolate lover, I’m sorry to inform you this, but …  we may be inheriting a chocolate shortage. Scientists have blamed the shortage of cacao beans, on climate change, disease, and the shortage of water. Chocolate can become shortanded by 2020 and can become close to extinct by 2050. Lots of chocolate makers have invested up to $1 billion dollars to fight climate change to prevent the loss of cacao beans. Others have started growing cacao on walls, since  cacao beans don’t exactly have to be grown in West Africa. Scientists  believe that this outrageous problem can be fixed because if we had corn and wheat problems, we can fix this chocolate problem. In my opinion, I personally don’t like chocolate, but I do know many chocolate lovers that would be disappointed if chocolate did go extinct. Also, not only should chocolate companies be investing in helping, I also think it is up to people to help out and save cacao beans from going extinct.

Next, not only is the world facing a chocolate shortage, but France is running out of butter. France is the country that has the highest percent of people who eat butter. For months now, bakers have sounded an alarm warning that this is the worst shortage since WWII. Since the falling levels of milk production, this is why people are running out of butter. Many markets all over France have been putting apologetic notes on empty butter fridges. Since there is such a low stock in butter, markets have had no choice, but to raise up the prices. Owners of shops have had to reduce workers shifts by 70% because of the low butter sales. The shortage of butter was never a problem, in fact, there used to be a surplus of butter that made markets lower their price on butter, to get rid of all the extra butter. Lastly, the good news for France, is this low milk production levels will soon rise, but if they don’t rise, the problem could continue through autumn or winter.