• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Filed under World News

California Bound

Back to Article
Back to Article

California Bound

This just in, there has been horrific news. Recently, there has been a report that two parents were arrested for holding their 13 children captive, in their suburban California house. The age range is from 2-29 years old. When authorities busted into the house, there was horrible conditions and the parents went as far to shackled some of their children in beds with chains and padlocks. A courageous 17 year old managed to escape and called 911, from a phone she managed to find in the house. The girl claimed that her 12 brothers and sisters were being held captive by their parents, at their childhood home, and some of them were bound with chains and padlocks. When authorities first discovered the 17 year old, she apparently looked like a 10 year old and looked very malnourished. They found the 12 children who “appeared malnourished and very dirty.” “All of them looked like children,” police said and were surprised to learn that seven of them were adults. Several were shackled to their beds in “dark and foul-smelling surroundings,” the sheriff department said.

David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, are charged with torture and child engagement. Their bail is set for 9 million each and it’s unclear if the suspects have attorneys or have entered a plea. The 17 year old and the six children, are being treated at Riverside University Health System Medical Center in Moreno Valley. The other 7 adults are being cared for at Corona Regional Medical Center in Corona, authorities claim.

Neighbors state that they new the Turpin’s have a large family, however they never saw any of the younger children. One neighbor states that they saw the couple being arrested on early Sunday and the children were being taken from home in their pajamas. “They were very, very pale-skinned, almost like they’ve never seen the sun,” the neighbor said. Kimberly Milligan (neighbor) told CNN that she thought the older children were much younger. “I thought they were like 12 because they looked so malnourished, so pale.” “It’s so sad, so horrible,” neighbor Jennifer Luna claimed, shaking her head. “I can’t believe this. I can’t believe this.”