• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our Fall 2017 Edition! Thank you for reading - please comment at will.

Filed under Opinion

One of the Weirdest Labs

Recently in my science class,  I did a lab with my teacher Mr. Kelley. The lab was  most likely different from others that we are doing together this whole year.  To begin with, the lab  started first by using  a cup of milk and vinegar and  pouring  the vinegar into the milk. The objective was to make something that smelled and looked like baby vomit so the vinegar made the milk chunky and weird looking after I mixed it with the plastic knife.  That is when it started smelling something  disgusting, which led us to  put it off at a table in the back of the classroom. Next,  my friend Kevin grabbed the Water and Alcohol (FYI  this is not drinking alcohol it’s rubbing alcohol) and we grabbed out plastic bags and laid it flat on the table.  Then, I  grabbed the little pump to suck in some of the water and the alcohol.   Then I had Kevin drop 3 drops on the plastic bag. We had to make our observations about what we saw happening to both liquids, meaning that the alcohol was turning flat when the water was staying very plump. Kevin then wiped the liquids of the plastic bag and put it back in the box. We then pulled out a paper towel. Note that  we did the same process for the drops, but both liquids reacted differently on the paper. The alcohol made a portion of the paper see through and we were able to see the desk, and the water didn’t make a hole or any of that  Lastly we put the paper back and pulled out a cup and did the process again, however  this time we put the drops on the sides of the cup on the inside. We noticed they both left trails of the liquid and the alcohol moved slower and the water moved quicker.

For the final part of our lab, we cleaned the cup that we used  and filled it half way, grabbed a pack of alka seltzer that  two tablets. On the count of three, I would put one in and my group would time how long it would take for it to process, I put it in and the tablet started dissolving and fizzing. We waited until it would come to a halt and would stop the timer. We stopped at about 1 minute and 28 seconds.  Mr.Kelley made it more interesting by telling   us to grab the plastic knife and chop up the last tablet into powder, but first we put it into a folded up piece of paper so it would be easier, then it was time to see what would happen. We counted down  when put the powder in, it started to fizz tremendously  and the pieces were floating above at the top of the water.  t ended quicker than the last one because it was smaller.  Mr.Kelley grabbed a cup and put a tablet in, however  he first filled up the cup with cold water and the tablet was way slower. Then he filled the cup with warm water and put the tablet in.  Then it started fizzing and was releasing a lot of steam as it dissolved. Then we wrote all of our observations and it was a new experience to me and in my opinion it was pretty fun.