• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our Fall 2017 Edition! Thank you for reading - please comment at will.

Filed under News

What is going on with Micro transactions?

Imagine that you are playing your new video game that just came out. You have been playing it for a few hours already and are already getting into it. Immediately after, you are greeted by this, “Time has run out. Please wait 48 hours or use 50 coins to continue playing. You open up the in-game store and see small amounts of these coins with prices higher than you can usually count. You may also see many options to buy your way to the ranks of the multiplayer mode and already see dozens of high leveled players – not because of skill, but because they decided to pay up. You may think this scenario is way out there, but with the way games are handling micro transactions, this already isn’t too far fetched.

Micro transactions, in video games, are small-medium sized purchases that you can make in games, which seems reasonable when done right, such as in an otherwise free game or if they are simply cosmetic, and don’t give an edge in gameplay. However, current games are doing the exact opposite.  Some have you paying dozens of dollars when you already shelled out $60 others  give you the option to outright skip to first ace, provided you have the cash. Even AAA games are doing this, with the most recent example being Star Wars Battlefront II, a game by Electronic Arts. You would think that in a Star Wars game the main characters would be there by default, but that’s not the cape.   Instead, you  either spend days upon days to unlock Darth Vader or you can choose to open up your wallet like in other modern games, where you can gain the chance to unlock the character with loot boxes, random chance opportunities that cost real money. In fact, by doing the math, you have to spend 4,528 hours (or 188 days) to unlock everything. Or you can take the alternative and spend $2,100.

This is only one example of bad business practices. Take-Two, who owns Rock star games, plans on including micro-transactions into every game they make from now on. Other companies are positively sure to follow. Games should only require one purchase;the price of the game. Some companies are more friendly to consumers and you get dozens of hours of entertainment with a one time purchase. However,  these companies are in the minority and considering that the majority are doing financially well, they may even follow suit.