• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our Fall 2017 Edition! Thank you for reading - please comment at will.

Filed under Opinion

Beautiful Form of Poetry

?????

?????

Poetic writing (poetry) is a literary art form in which human language is used for it aesthetic qualities. It largely consists of oral and literary works in which language is used in a manner that is felt by the poet and the audience to differ from ordinary form.

Poetry may use a condensed or compressed form to channel the emotions or ideas from the poet to the reader’s or listener’s mind. It may also use devices such as assonance and repetition to achieve a musical or incantatory effect to stay in the mind of the reader. Poems frequently rely on their effect on imagery, word association, and the musical qualities of the language being being used by the poet. The layering of all these devices create the art form that is described as poetry.

Poetry can be differentiated from most other genres, which is language meant to convey meaning in a more expansive way verses poetry, which conveys meaning in a more condensed way. Other genres frequently use more logical or narrative structures than poetry has. This does not necessarily imply that poetry is illogical, but rather it is created and used for the need to ESCAPE the logical. It is also used to express emotion in a tight manner.

The most vital element of poetry is sound and rhythm. Often the rhythm of each line is arranged in a particular meter. Different types of meter played key roles in Classical, Early European, Eastern, and Modern poetry. In the case of free verse poetry, the rhythm of the lines is often arranged into looser units of cadence. However, the use of rhyme is not universal. Much of modern poetry, for example, avoids traditional rhyme or rhythm schemes. Classical Greek and Latin poetry did not use rhyme.

Once you get into poetry,  it can be addicting. Like a calming drug pulling you deeper into natural high. It can be relieving almost as if thousands of bricks off your chest. Poetry can open you up to a deeper set of emotions, you never knew were hidden inside of you.  Poetry is a part of many people in today’s world. It helps a lot of people with mental problems such as anxiety, depression, and many more.  Poetry is more than just an art form, it is a medicine, an escape, and a part of many people’s being.