• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our Fall 2017 Edition! Thank you for reading - please comment at will.

5 Years on Air

¨Real take! In 3, 2, 1.¨ It has been 5 years since the very first bulletin was first aired. Blackstock’s first Journalism team was the brainchild of Principal Beneke and has been spearheaded by Language Arts teacher, Mr. Martineau. Today, the Journalism team serves as our school’s version of the Daily Bugle.  Although there is no wall-crawling hero, Journalism informs Blackstock of events that you can’t hear anywhere else. The question is, how did it all start? At first there weren’t many bulletins, but years ago a teacher working at Blackstock led groups of students to fix devices like computers and printers. At some point he decided to encourage the kids to try creating a video bulletin. He agreed and he gathered a group of students and this established the idea of a regular broadcast to inform our student body. The students created some of the very first video bulletins and many of these first broadcasts are still archived on an old computer in the journalism classroom. Unlike today’s bulletins, the past bulletins were pretty standard and most daily bulletins were identical . The original team did try out creative bulletins for Halloween and April Fool’s Day. According to Mr. Martineau, the old Journalism team used and overhead projector and read from a board.  After a couple of years, the teacher advisor moved up the district office and the camera went dead. According to, Mr. Martineau, Principal Beneke asked around to see if a teacher was interested in taking up the charge. At first, Mr. Martineau was hesitant. He later explained to be during our interview that they negotiated for what would make the class worth tackling, they came to a deal, and Journalism was born.  After accepting, the bulletin became more interesting, and students incorporated a variety of music, themes, backgrounds and creativity and production increased exponentially. Some of the equipment that Journalism used were mostly basic, like a microphone and a small camera. However, the camera was difficult to charge and often times bulletins would have to be shot and re-edited multiple times to get a quality final bulletin. Today Journalism utilizes a Mac computer to edit and paste backgrounds, and this technology offered a whole new range of production possibilities. They also use a solid green background when they are shooting the bulletin or the weather, so that backgrounds can be edited in during post production. The Journalism class has upgraded since its inception and has influenced many students to participate in school public announcements. The team evolved a lot, not just from their technology, but also in the scope of working as a team and developing creativity. To this day, the team use their writing and speaking skills for either the video or the newspaper. Using these skills will help students in future jobs as reporters or writers. Yesterday was the past, today it is the present, and tomorrow the future. ¨Cut!¨  “Print!”

4 Comments

4 Responses to “5 Years on Air”

1. adviser on September 25th, 2017 8:19 pm

Isaac, you did an amazing job illuminating the evolution of Journalism! Well-researched and masterfully reported! 🙂

[Reply]

2. Bernardo on September 28th, 2017 1:15 pm

Wow, there are so many things I didn’t know. I never would have thought about asking about the history of journalism, but now i’m glad I didn’t have to ask. Everything is packed together nicely, good job.

[Reply]

3. Girl from another Planet on October 4th, 2017 7:07 pm

I was listening to some jams late one night when I had a sudden realization, I will never have another class like Journalism. There won’t be another class where I can put my creativity to use and be a part of making something for the whole school to see. Amongst the people I worked with, there were some I would have never truly interacted with if not for this class. From my promotion to this day, there are so many ideas for journalism that I wish I had carried out. My advice is this: cherish the freedom this class gives you and take advantage of it. If you have an idea, discuss it until it’s ready to pull off. That way, you won’t end up regreting the actions you didn’t take as a 9th grader.
    -jj

[Reply]

4. Sherlyn Hernandez on October 6th, 2017 1:31 pm

Wow, I didn’t know that the bulletin has been going on for five years. This story informed me a lot about the how the Blackstock’s first bulletin started. I loved this story; keep doing an outstanding job with your stories 🙂

[Reply]

*

• 5 Years on Air

I´ll Be There For You…¨

• 5 Years on Air

• 5 Years on Air

Roll of the Die – U.S. and North Korea

• 5 Years on Air

Houston, We Have a Problem

• 5 Years on Air

Placing, Perfection and Potuzak – My Year in Math

• 5 Years on Air

MSN Loses an N – So Long Neymar

• 5 Years on Air

Rod- e – OH!

• 5 Years on Air

Mosques Open up to Hurricane Harvey Victims

• 5 Years on Air

The Rock’s New “Role”

• 5 Years on Air

One Home for One Euro!?

5 Years on Air