• September 25The Panther Page is back! This is our 2018-2019 edition. Please comment on our stories and enjoy!

Filed under News, Now You Know, Showcase

Back to Article
Back to Article

Did you know that September 16th is Mexican Independence day? Mexican Independence day is the day after September 15th, which is the day of the Cry of Dolores, that is also the source of Mexican Independence day. Mexico celebrates this day with picnics, fireworks, parades, & many parties. In the year 1810, on September 15th, the day before the Mexican Independence day, Mexico had the thought of planning a revolt to free the country of the Spanish ruler. However at 11:00pm, priest Father Miguel Hidalgo of Dolores, rang his church bell to call his parishioners to fight off the Spanish rule, gave a speech & the fight for freedom had begun. Though freedom was not obtained on this day, the uprising started by Hidalgo making them win their fight in the year 1821. September 15th, aka the day of the Cry of Dolores, is the cause of September 16th. On September 15th, Mexican people traditionally like to repeat the rings of the bell. September 16th is a day full of celebrations and fun after having won the fight for their freedom. Crowds often cry out ¨Viva Mexico¨ or even ¨Viva la independencia”. The streets of Mexico are decorated with many items such as flowers, flags, and lights that are in the colors of green, white, and red because of the Mexican flag. This day is not to be confused with Cinco de Mayo because of its major difference in history and origin. Mexican Independence day is a special day in history that celebrates our fight. Viva Mexico!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Viva Mexico!”

1. Sherlyn Hernandez on September 26th, 2017 2:10 pm

I agree September 16th shouldn’t be confused with Cinco de Mayo – they are two separate dates. Love your story Diana, Viva Mexico!

2. Nancy Lupian on October 2nd, 2017 1:07 pm

I totally agree that September 15th should not be confused with Cinco de Mayo. The difference of both of them is that they are both in different days and also they are also in different months. Your story is awesome Diana!!

*

• Viva Mexico!

Battlefield 5

• Viva Mexico!

Food

Very ¨Berry¨ Hard to Define

• Viva Mexico!

Animal News

The Prank Calling Gecko

• Viva Mexico!

Aurora Borealis, a Sight of Wonders

• Viva Mexico!

Joyeux Noël – Christmas in France

• Viva Mexico!

Go Go, My Eggo!

• Viva Mexico!

Fresh Face on Campus – AP Cervantes

• Viva Mexico!

A&E

The Fun Will Never End

• Viva Mexico!

I´ll Be There For You…¨

• Viva Mexico!

Roll of the Die – U.S. and North Korea