• October 3The Panther Page is back! Visit regularly for new stories and content. :)

Mammoth Find

Recently, an intact mammoth skull was found on the Santa Rosa Island. The mammoth skull is said to be 13,000 years old, so it is a must for the team of scientists to be exceedingly careful with the skull. The location of the mammoth skull was very close to the Arlington Man, who is believed to be the oldest human remains found on the Santa Rosa Islands. Finding these two remains in similar areas means that people are wondering whether the mammoth coexisted with humans. However,  it could be possible that the mammoths died out long before humans arrived or humans could have been the cause of their extinction because of hunting.

Another one of the amazing aspects of the skull is that it is in great condition. It is probably even said to be the best preserved mammoth skull of either the Colombian or pygmy species on the California Islands. However, scientists are not sure if it can be considered any of these species because it is not big enough to be a Colombian and not small enough to be a pygmy mammoth. This is why the discovery of this mammoth skull has many people racking their brain for answers. People have had a theory though that the mammoth skull can be represented as a transitional animal which means it was somewhere on the way of becoming a completely dwarfed pygmy mammoth. Which is what archaeologists are hoping it is, but archaeologists have gotten some other news concerning the situation. They have found a scapula and tooth in an eroding stream bank, and a rare find, mammoth footprints. Could this be the last finds from a overlooked era, or is this only the beginning of a tremendous discovery of Earth’s history?