• October 3The Panther Page is back! Visit regularly for new stories and content. :)

Schools and Adults vs. 13 Reasons Why

13 Reasons Why is a recently premiered Netflix original series that is based off the book with the same title by Jay Asher. The Netflix original series has been a hit since its release. This particular show has appealed to most teens, but parents are jumping onboard with the latest trend. The difference is that parents view the show because of all the controversy that has been regarding it. Teens have been enjoying the show, but school officials and other adults have seen the show as controversial. The reason the show is a hit with teens is that it discusses real life problems that happen a lot, such as sexual assault and suicide. On the other hand, the show has been disapproved by parents and other adults for one major reason.  It “romanticizes suicide”.

Because of all the controversy regarding the show with its serious topics, top school officials have decided to send out some type of warning to parents about the book and show mainly because they feel it “romanticizes suicide”. Bridgeport Schools Superintendent, Aresta Johnson, stated that they had sent out a letter to parents about 13 Reasons Why  because they want parents to be aware. The letter they sent out encourages parents to find out if their child has viewed the show and motivates them to hear their child’s reaction and feelings after watching it. Letters similar to the ones sent out to the Bridgeport Schools’ parents have been sent out in Milford, Stratford, Shelton, and Fairfield. Not only that, but in Fairfield they decided to have a discussion panel regarding the series with a school psychologist, counselor, and social worker present.

Fairfield Schools Superintendent,Toni Jones, states that many districts are warning parents about the series because some of the content is very graphic and emotional. Moreover which may lead to the youth to process the story in an unappropriate way. In addition Hannah Baker, the girl who committed suicide, only left 13 tapes which explained why she decided to end her life. As a result of what Hannah left behind (the tapes) the Milford Schools’ Superintendent, Elizabeth Feser, sent out a later saying that an issue many had with the series is that there was no other suggestion other than suicide that would have helped Hannah with what she was dealing with. Lastly, other Superintendents from other districts suggested in their warning letters that if their child/children have viewed the show, they as a parent, should talk about the many themes of the show that include sexual assault, bullying, rejection, heartbreak, abuse, revenge and depression.