• October 3The Panther Page is back! Visit regularly for new stories and content. :)

Filed under Now You Know, Opinion

A Walk Through The Holocaust

November 21, 2016, Charles F. Blackstock JHS 8th grade students had the opportunity to go to the Museum of Tolerance for a field trip. At the museum, 8th graders learned and watched informational presentation about the Holocaust and it’s miraculous survivors who tell their journey during the Holocaust. The Holocaust, was a genocide in which Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party killed about six million German Jews and others such as gypsies and homosexuals, due to prejudice. The following are 8th grade students who expressed their thoughts, feelings, and experiences about the Holocaust and the Museum of Tolerance.

The first student I interviewed is Nikki Sincero, who stated, “I had a series of mixed feelings that day, stepping through the door, going through the security check, and walking upwards a white spiral pathway amongst other students towards the Holocaust exhibit. Our tour guide, who herself had parents who both survived the disastrous mass killing of millions of innocent people, gave us an up close experience on how it was like for them, and many others.” Nikki also explained, “The fact that put me and others to shock was how a single human being (Adolf Hitler), a failed student, rose to cause one of the worst committed crimes in history.” She said, “I was frightened and upset overall due to the number of various strategies of ending more than millions of lives because of where they came from and what they believed in. The experience also caused me and others to be more aware and understand of what has happened in the past, to contribute in a way that prevents that from happening again in the future.”

The next student I interviewed was Ashlei Tesnado, she said, “My experience in the Museum of Tolerance was interesting, it is where I further learned the history of the Holocaust. Our tour guide Sarah, was very helpful, and she gave us answers to our questions, which made us fully understand the Holocaust. What was interesting was Sarah leading our group to this room, where there was a video playing and we had to guessed the right answers to the questions it gave us, it was awesome and I learned many new facts.” Ashlei also shared, “My feelings about the Holocaust was terrifying and confused at the same time. I was terrified of what they were doing to these innocent people and how they (Nazi Party) were very racist to them. Additionally, I was confused because why would a group of people be so rude and cruel to another group of people, if we are all humans? I was glad to see a real life survivor of the Holocaust and hear his sad story about his experience. Overall, I learned to not let these negative experiences happen again.”

Lastly, I interviewed Yajaira Arroyo, who explained, “My experienced during the exhibition of the Holocaust was greatly depressing. Millions of lives were lost during this fearful period of time. It’s truly sad that many people looked up to Adolf Hitler as their leader. Including the fact that, Jews were once their friends, neighbors, and companions. It wasn’t fair that all of a sudden that had to change. However, the Museum of Tolerance taught us that the Holocaust had many meanings.” She also said, “People can try to forget, but they really shouldn’t. People should be proud of many Holocaust survivors and their stories. If we forget, it will be like killing all those innocent people again.”

In conclusion, we shall never forget about the Holocaust, but understand the suffering of millions of innocent humans, who were murdered by Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party. We should stay unified as one to prevent genocides like this to occur in the future. Elie Wiesel, author of Night and Nobel Peace Prize winner, once said, “A destruction, an annihilation that only man can provoke, only man can prevent.”