• October 3The Panther Page is back! Visit regularly for new stories and content. :)

Filed under Now You Know, Opinion

Free To Be – LGBT

America is known for being the country of freedom. Freedom of speech, freedom to bear arms, freedom to be whoever we want to be. However, these freedoms have been misunderstood by some people who seem to think that being gay is a crime, or that being another gender that makes you feel like you, is wrong. Living as a transgender person can be a death sentence; some people who have no mercy or understanding will attack them. Sergeant Jessica Hawkins, who transitioned from a male cop to a transgender woman, has felt the “fears of other communities, that I did not have as a white male.” A year after transitioning, she became head of the Washington Metropolitan Police Department’s LGBT unit.

At this time, transgender women’s deaths were increasing at an alarming rate, with blacks and Latinas being targeted the most. This year has had the most deaths of transgender women with at least 22 people that have been killed. During the two months of September and October, there have been three cases that have involved black and Latina transgender women attacks. In September, there was a black transgender woman who was found with stab wounds in Garfield Park located in Chicago. Unfortunately, another murder was also committed days after, and was dealt with a gunshot to the back of her head in northwest Baltimore. Recently, on October 8th, a black transgender woman was shot in the chest, and was suffocated with bags over her head, while her hand were tied behind her back. Transgender women should be treated with equal respect, because they, too, are human. Also, just because they are transgender women, does not make them any less human.  If we are going to be the land of the free, it needs to be freedom for all.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Free To Be – LGBT”

1. Jasmine E. on November 13th, 2016 10:05 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion on this topic. You make great claims and points in your article, and I believe this story will be well-received and appreciated by LGBT+ students of Blackstock. Great work, Aliya!

[Reply]

2. Marlen on November 17th, 2016 9:57 am

Thank you for your great article.

[Reply]

3. adviser on November 18th, 2016 2:28 pm

I like that you put so much passion into your articles and into your life! Very provocative article. 🙂

[Reply]

4. Jose Ruiz on November 21st, 2016 1:39 pm

Aliya your topic was great! Some people make fun of the LGBT people. People should be whatever they want. It’s their life and people should not judge when it is not their business. Great job Aliya. You are such a great writer, editor, and friend. 😀

[Reply]

*

• Free To Be – LGBT

The Rock’s New “Role”

• Free To Be – LGBT

One Home for One Euro!?

• Free To Be – LGBT

M&M Goes Soft in the Center

• Free To Be – LGBT

Animal News

One Elephant of a Pedicure

• Free To Be – LGBT

Animal News

Mammoth Find

• Free To Be – LGBT

Women’s Voices Amplified

• Free To Be – LGBT

Gaming

Kirobo Strikes Japan – What’s Next?

• Free To Be – LGBT

Break Me Off a Piece of That…

• Free To Be – LGBT

Sacre Bleu – You Can Attend Hogwarts

• Free To Be – LGBT

Clothes That Feel Good and That You Can Feel Good About

Free To Be – LGBT