• October 3The Panther Page is back! Visit regularly for new stories and content. :)

Stepping Through the Gates

Feels like just yesterday that I walked through Blackstock’s gates for the first time – new school, new teachers, new classroom, bigger students.  At this time, sixth graders only had two teachers. This was the first time I had a passing period (which required walking across the hall).  Sixth grade seemed like the longest year.  The three years stretched out before me as if they would go on forever.  At the end of this year I would have aced the math CST. The last CST I would take until the eighth grade science one (still ahead of me).

Stepping through the gates again, I was glad that I made it into journalism. In journalism I learned skills that I wouldn’t learn in any other electives. I learned the importance of meeting deadlines and working independently.  Journalism also opened me up to the world inside BJHS at the time.  I was the nerdy kid with the glasses and the distinctive laugh. The teacher in charge of journalism also happened to be my English teacher and the extra time allowed me to build myself and a stronger connection.

At BJHS, seventh and eighth graders were the only ones who’d be able to attend dances, so I attended every one. Unaware, this sparked  a seed in my mind that later blossomed. My grades were strong and I thrived in math, which was clearly my best subject. Towards the end, that seed that I mentioned blossomed into a motivated ASB presidential mindset.  I ran for president and won. I left to summer with two concepts in my mind: 1. I had confidence that so many people picked me. 2. Everything will be so different next year.

Stepping through the gates for the last first time, I realized that this is it. My time. I’m ASB president, and one of the three returning journalism alumni. And best of all, there was no one in a higher grade in this school than I. This year meant I would be devoted to ASB and journalism, and also enjoy the last moments of BJHS.  I have enjoyed this year, and I know that I must make the very most of the time that I have left as a panther before the final time I leave through those gates.