• October 3The Panther Page is back! Visit regularly for new stories and content. :)

Filed under Campus Life, Interviews

From the Past to the Future

The end of the 2013-2014 school year has arrived. As eighth graders, we would like to share our experience and offer our heartfelt advice.

Vernadette Laderas: Being part of the first generation journalism staff, I have become more familiar with the daily bulletin as well as the new school newspaper. This class has been such a unique, exciting, interesting and fun experience and learning opportunity. A class consisting of only 11 students has made it easier to create great friendships and become comfortable with one another. Being able to have Mr. Martineau as our advisor had allowed me to become closer to him and I will most definitely miss him as I transition into high school. As a student, I have learned to take pleasure in what I do, but to remain focused. I find myself looking through articles and watching the news more carefully.  As a person, I have realized that practice does make perfect. After watching old video bulletins to recently filmed ones, the dramatic change in enthusiasm, preparation, volume, and acting has improved.  Journalism has left a mark on each of us as hard working and achieving students and citizens in our community.

Dear Future Journalism Students,

Although I have only had a single year of experience with the class, I assure you you will figure out more about yourself and determine whether you would like to continue in a film or acting direction. When acting, become the character. Mr. Martineau’s scripts are genius – go with it. Enjoy your time in class and use it wisely. Most importantly, NEVER take Mr. Martineau for granted. He is one of the most, if not the most, caring and flexible teacher. You will be given many amazing opportunities throughout the year being part of journalism, make the most of it. Good luck! 🙂

Roselyn Romero: Journalism has changed my life in many subtle ways. As an aspiring author/English professor/journalist, this class has helped me gain confidence, write better and improve my on-camera personality. Ever since the first day of school, I’ve always looked forward to Journalism on “A” days. Being in the class, I learned that patience is a virtue, character is more important than reputation, practice makes perfect, and it’s great to be comfortable with feeling uncomfortable.

For those who are joining Journalism, my biggest advice is to step outside of your comfort zone. In fact, act as if there is no comfort zone! If Mr. Martineau tells you to do something that you think you’ll regret later on, trust me, YOU WON’T! As a matter of fact, I only regret the things I didn’t do on the bulletin. Speaking of the bulletin, you may/may not be paired up with someone you dislike or someone who keeps making the same mistakes. Be patient with your bulletin partner. Help them out and encourage them. Additionally, I recommend watching the bulletins in which you appear and notice anything you need to improve on, and improve yourself! It’s extremely important to be confident, smile, and have fun. I hope all future Journalism students follow our footsteps!